IT'S TIME TO SHOW UP, SIGN UP, AND GO TO WORK!
We are calling on all unemployed workers, temporary workers, and anyone interested in a job in construction, waiting tables or working in the hospitality industry (restaurants and hotels) to sign up for the Rainbow PUSH Coalition Job Bank.
Meet Omar Shareef every Thursday at 930 E. 50th Street at 6:00-8:00 PM.
We are training flaggers and waiters for the next 10 weeks. If you see a site or a restaurant that does not employ African American workers. If you are interested in a job in construction or working in the hospitality industry (waiting tables-restaurants and hotels) Every Saturday we will report on our direct targets for the week.
Restaurant Facts You Should Know
- In Chicago, workers of color with equal qualifications are granted living wage opportunities only 53 percent of the time compared to white workers
- Seventy-three percent of workers of color in Chicago who work as bartenders and servers earn below the poverty level, compared to 31 percent of white workers
- The restaurant industry is a driving force in the Illinois economy
- More than 560,000 food service jobs in Illinois represent about 9 percent of employment in the state
- Nationally, restaurant industry employs 14.7 million people, representing 10 percent of overall U.S. workforce
- There were 27,189 eating and drinking establishments in Illinois in 2015
- Nationally, there are 1 million restaurant locations
- Projected sales in Illinois in 2017 - $25.5 billion
- Restaurant industry sales nationally - $799 billion
Sources: National Restaurant Association and Restaurant Opportunities Center of Chicago